As California transitions to New Standards, the state has replaced the Standardized Testing and Reporting (STAR) assessment system with the California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP). The new assessment system is aligned with the California Common Core State Standards and measures student achievement and growth in English Language Arts and Mathematics in grades 3-8. The assessments, built on the idea that high-quality assessments will contribute to improved teaching and learning necessary to prepare students to be college and career ready.
2016-2017 CAASPP will include:
CAASPP Smarter Balanced summative test for English–language arts (ELA) and mathematics in grades three through eight. Additional information about SBAC testing can be located on the CAASPP Communication – FAQs About Smarter Balanced.
- Fifth and Eighth Grade Science Assessments, including the California Standards Tests (CSTs), California Alternate Assessment (CAA), and the California Modified Assessment (CMA).
- California Alternate Assessment (CAA) for English-Language arts and mathematics in grades three through eight. AA Field Test Manual
|Assessment||Students Tested||Content Areas||Testing Window*|
|Smarter Balanced Assessment||Grades 3-8||English Language Arts and Mathematics||May 2017|
|Science (CA NGSS Field Test)||Grades 5 and 8||Science||May 2017|
|California Alternate Assessment (CAA)||Grades 3-8||English Language Arts, Mathematics and Science||May 2017|
Learning About the Smarter Balanced Test
Below are resources parents and their children can use to learn about the Smarter Balanced Test:
- CCSS Resources for Parents and Guardians– Common Core State Standards
- Smarter Balanced Spanish Web PagePágina Web in Español de la prueba Smarter Balanced: Esta página ofrece recursos sobre la prueba Smarter Balanced para los padres y estudiantes de habla Español
- CAASPP Online Training Module – Student Interface for Online Testing
Preparing For The Smarter Balanced Test
Parents and students need to learn about the new types of test questions and have multiple opportunities to practice using the new test interface. This resource is available for parents and their children to use for practice purposes. It includes practice tests for all grades and content areas.